We had an abundance of raspberries in the fridge that were slowly getting eaten, but also could be used as an excuse for me to try out a new recipe! When I think of berries in baked goods I think of scones, which usually contain way too much sugar for my liking, but I thought if I made them my self I could control for that. I also have never tried making a gluten free scone, and decided to use my trusted favorite almond flour for this one. Our huge bag of almond flour came in the mail a few days ago, so I did use the blanched flour instead of the meal. These turned out moist and delicious! They are a little denser than regular scones, but still have a little bit of the flakiness unique to scones. The raspberries provide a great tartness, complemented by the blueberries.
Recipe adapted from
- 1 ¼ cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup golden flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 large egg whisked
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/8 cup almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, flax seed meal, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl stir together eggs, coconut oil, almond milk and vanilla extract
- Combine the mixtures until dough comes together. It will be a little sticky.
- Stir in raspberries and blueberries until well distributed.
- Shape the scones however you would like: about 1 inch thick. My shapes were a little irregular, but hey they still look and taste great.
- Bake 28 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Remove and let cool on pan.